Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Ukraine, Israel, etc, and why I don't do US politics much

UKRAINE:
Zelensky, as expected, won the first round of the presidential election, taking 30.2% of the vote. Incumbent Present, Poroshenko, managed to come second at 15.9%, beating former PM Tymoshenko, at 13.4%, who had been polling ahead of him for most of the election.

Its very likely Zelensky wins the second round as well. April 21st is the date for that vote. Parliamentary elections in the country take place in the fall.



ISRAEL:
We are nearing the end of the polling period (April 4th) for the election (April 9th) but the trend continues to be that noted earlier, and a Likud victory is more likely now than it was a few weeks ago, mostly due to voters who had considered Blue & White looking to other options instead. Interestingly, Zehut does seem pretty solid ahead of the threshold.



FINLAND:
There have been a grand total of 2 polls (that I have access to) since the election really began on the 8th of March. I simply lack the data to speak on this.



INDONESIA:
To put it bluntly, there are too many other elections with a greater rate of interest going on right now for me to cover this election in detail.



THAILAND:
I am keeping an eye on the "election" here, but it does not seem free or fair. I may do an update when a new government is formed.



SPAIN:
Mostly stable in the context we are following since the last updates.



USA:
To put it mildly, the main reason I don't cover the US more is that the first question that comes to my mind when I think of the Finnish election is "Where is all the polls". The Thai elections "how many votes did the parties actually take". The Spanish election "will it be PSOE and C's?". For America? The question I have in mind right now is "Why can't Biden be the nominee due to his non-consensual touching of women when Trump can be despite his non-consensual touching of women?"

I hope that makes it clear why I steer clear of this country like the plague.



No comments:

Post a Comment