Thursday, December 19, 2019

impeachment, partisanship, and the US election

I wanted to make a quick note on US politics.

I am old enough to remember the Impeachment vote against Bill Clinton. I am old enough to remember how this was the watershed in turning US politics toxic. I remember how the vote was extremely partisan, all the Republicans thought he was guilty, while all the Democrats thought he was not.

In the end, it didn't matter if he was guilty or not. What mattered was starting a process that the instigating party knew they would lose served only to make US politics toxic.

Now we have another Impeachment, against another President.

I want to make clear, and using super blunt language so everyone fully understands:

"just because the good guys are doing it to the bad guys does not make it right"

It does not matter if he is guilty or not. What matters is a process was started by the instigating party that everyone knows they will lose. The only thing to gain from this is making US politics toxic.

I have 0 desire to discuss it. I have 0 desire to talk about it. I have 0 desire to think about it.

Quite simply, I'm washing my hands of US politics as a whole.

I may post updates about the presidential election from time to time, but I will not be posting them nearly as regularly as I did 4 years ago.

US politics is broken, sick, and infectious. I have no desire to be infected with its toxicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment